Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Feds Respond on Twin Buttes Closure for July 4th


I reached out to a representative with the federal agency that owns Twin Buttes Reservoir and the surrounding land.  The Texas Water Development Board website states the following about Twin Buttes:

The project is owned by the United States government and operated by the United States Bureau of Reclamation for flood control, water supply, irrigational, and recreational purposes. 
My question and their response are below:  

Q: I would appreciate any information the Bureau of Reclamation can share with me as to how the decision came about to close Twin Buttes over July 4th weekend. Last I knew the Bureau wanted the City to do more at Twin Buttes Reservoir. Closure for a holiday weekend is clearly doing less.

I am using Twin Buttes more as both a windsurfer and paddleboarder. I am grateful for the rising water levels and planned to be on the water this weekend. Twin Buttes is by far the best lake in San Angelo for these two sports. Lake Nasworthy is lethal for non-motored craft, as you may have noticed in the news. I hope to learn more about how this bad decsion was made and why it was so poorly communicated.  I have written my City Councilperson regarding this decision.

A:  The Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation) has entered into an agreement with the City of San Angelo where they are fully responsible for all the operations and maintenance (O&M) of the facility and reservoir.

Reclamation does not direct day to day O&M issues and concerns. Closing the reservoir is a City decision and since this is a management or operation decision to control illegal activity, the City is within their right to do so. The correct approach as you stated is for you to contact your councilperson or city staff.
I've done both and will include their responses/nonresponses in the next post.  It's not clear if entering Twin Buttes over the weekend will be illegal activity in and of itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment